Search This Blog

September 6, 2014

DIY: Fall Wreath Tutorial

It has been far too long since I've posted a tutorial, or even just posted anything! Anywho... I'll try not to slack off for so long this time!

It's that time of year again, where pumpkin everything is coming back into our lives. Stores are starting to put out Halloween and Christmas (what???) items. It's just about time for the leaves to change colors and the weather to cool off.

To celebrate, I've made myself a Fall wreath to liven up my apartment door.

Here's the finished product
Unfortunately, I did not take photos while I was building this beauty, so here are the materials needed, and then I will walk you through the steps taken (there's not too many, don't worry).

Materials Needed:
- Wire Wreath Frame (I used a 10" frame)
- Twine (I used a heavy duty jute twine)
- Burlap Ribbon (I used a natural color, burlap mesh ribbon with wire in it)
- Fake Leaves
- Fake Flowers
- Hot Glue/Glue Gun
- Over the Door Wreath Hook

I found all of my materials at Hobby Lobby, but I've also found them at Michael's and JoAnn's.

Once you have all of your materials, you're ready to start!

Using your hot glue, twine, and the wire wreath frame, start glueing and wrapping the twine around the frame. I used a little glue, would wrap about 10 times, and then use another dob of glue.
This part was the most time consuming simply because of the thickness of twine (there are thicker twines out there, in hindsight I should have used larger twine). 

Once the frame is completely wrapped, you'll start to work with the leaves and flowers. Using scissors and some creative bending, twisting, and pulling of the fake leaves off of their stems, I placed a small dob of glue on each leaf stem, and slid the stem in between the twine (this will ensure that the leaves are glued underneath a layer of twine so the stems do not show)

After the leaves were in a formation that I liked (all of mine are heavily on the right-hand side of the frame), I placed small dobs of glue behind the leaves themselves so they would lay flat (some of them were sticking out strange, and I didn't like that - so I made sure they all laid mostly flat).

Next are the flowers, these were pretty easy to just pop off the top of their stems. I then did the same thing with the glue, and placed a small amount on the tiny part of stem that was left, and stuck it into the twine, partially covering the bottom of the leaves.

I only used a handful of flowers until I was satisfied with how it looked. As you can see in the photo above, my flowers are mainly at the bottom of the frame.

To balance out the brightly colored leaves and flowers, I used a small amount of the burlap ribbon to make a bow on the left-hand side of the frame. With the wired ribbon, this made it easier to tie and shape into the perfect bow - I was also able to twist it so it was tilted in a way I liked.

That's it! This was a fairly simple project to complete, and it motivates me to make seasonal wreaths to decorate my door with :)

Enjoy and please ask me questions if you have any!

Happy crafting!